Talk Shop, Western Canada’s largest and most connected public relations firm, is looking to cover a one-year maternity leave on the Professional Services, Emerging Industries and Tech team as the Business Director. Leaders in real estate, technology, consumer goods, lifestyle, luxury, retail, and finance, Talk Shop is made up of bright talent and brands looking to engage consumers, media, social, and influencer marketing differently.
As a Business Director at Talk Shop Media, you serve as an important member of the management team. You are responsible for overall management and results of the group: achieving revenue targets, ensuring accounts are running smoothly, and that your team is challenged, motivated, and satisfied.
You will lead business development for your group – securing both inbound and identified leads. As a key account team member you are responsible for consulting teams, overall account strategy, and leading and managing accounts.
As group leader, Business Directors are also flexible and willing to step in and support teams whenever needed, and are responsible for staffing decisions, career growth and management within their team.
This role encourages an entrepreneurial spirit and allows the Business Director to run their “business” independently while receiving operational, creative and strategic support from Talk Shop leadership.
Reports to: VP, Operations
- Participate in business development and sales activities to support Group’s fiscal revenue goals
- Conduct sales meetings, prepare and present proposals and oversee signing of new accounts
- Participate in and contribute to regular internal sales meetings – track leads in CRM, look at opportunities for upsell
- Participate and contribute to monthly Business Director meetings
- Responsible for achieving annual revenue target
- Conduct planning meetings with group as needed
- Conduct, manage and document all employee action plans as needed
- Prepare for, execute and document bi-annual employee evaluations for respective teams
- Document team issues and provide updates to VP, Operations
- Regular management and coaching of team to ensure growth and role satisfaction
- Manage team resources and make decisions around additional needs
- Set example leadership and culture example for team members
- Manage a portfolio of top-tier Talk Shop clients
- Serve as overarching consult on all accounts within respective group
- Provide overall strategic PR counsel to clients
- Ability to interact with and gain the trust of top-tier clients
- Serve as quality control and ensure the highest quality work is delivered to clients
- Ensure efficiency/profitability of all accounts
- Manage a budget of time to be dedicated to client consultation each month
- 7+ years of relevant PR and/or communications agency experience
- Experience in managing a high performing team including mentoring/coaching, development planning and providing regular feedback
- Experience preparing, managing and overseeing budgets
- Strong Strategic and Business acumen – ability to identify business/communication opportunities for clients, develop recommendations to help meet their business needs and speak confidently in all areas of Public Relations
- Presentation skills – able to run meetings and present concepts effectively
- Client Management skills – experience and confidence in working with C-suite level clients
- Excellent Interpersonal skills – ability to communicate with teams and clients effectively
- Ability to manage multiple team members, client relationships, and internal projects
- Experience with organizational and team performance management – act as consult on accounts for Managers and Associates
- Ability to add structure and prioritize issues
- Organized and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a high level of attention to detail
- Knowledge of and participation in business development/sales an asset
- Experience in Fintech, Professional Services, and Cannabis industries an asset
- Work hard-play-hard personality that values humility, ingenuity, humor, and integrity
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation will be dependent on relevant experience. After 3 months of employment, the individual will be entitled to Talk Shop’s comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Enrolment in extended health, vision/dental plan
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- 1 work from home day/month
- Sick days and personal days
- Partial mobile phone reimbursement
How to Apply
Email your resume with a cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com.
Successful candidates will be contacted and while we appreciate the time required to apply, we ask that applicants do not call the office to follow up.